Friday, February 26, 2010

Peninsula Adventure, take two.

In the morning I went to the Glenfalloch Woodland Gardens- thirty acres of native flora mixed with exotic flowers. Established 120 years ago the Gardens were extremely relaxing to walk in surrounded by a symphony of native birds. There was a matai tree that is 1000 years old, its strong white trunk stretching high above the surrounding trees.After relaxing by the stream there I hiked from the gardens down to a nearby bay where I took a trail up into the hills to Larnach Castle. The castle was built in 1870 by an Australian banker, it was abandoned after his family sold it and fell into disrepair until it was re-discovered in 1967. The gardens outside the castle are incredible with their creative floral designs and speciality gardens. My favorite part was where they had an Alice in Wonderland-type garden. After exploring the grounds it was getting towards midafternoon and I decided I should find my way down the hill to the bus stop before it got to late so I got directions from a local guy and started hiking down the mountain. It was gorgeous walking in the shade from the huge trees on each side of the narrow road and enjoying the sunshine that was lighting up the meadows and harbour. I was having a great time, enjoying life, until I got to the point where the road ended and I was stranded in the middle of three fields. I spent a good deal of time trying to find the track, retracing my steps and exploring my options, until I decided that I just had to go for it. I could see where I wanted to get to, so I just took off through the fields. It was pretty slow going hopping fences, slogging through the deep grass, getting stuck in a muddy creek. I'm glad that sheep and horses are such docile animals because if I had been walking through fields with som angry creatures, it might have gotten a bit more difficult. I was so happy when I finally made it onto more of a road and I almost feeling good about it until the road turned out to be a path from someone's backyard and I ended up in right in front of their house with their two large dogs. Luckily, the woman whose fields and backyard I had just tramped through came out to call her dogs off and point me down the hill towards the bus stop. I had never been more happy to see a concrete road before but it was definitely a fun adventure.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds a little scary! It's a good thing the lady was there to call off the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey E, I just read all of your blog and I am loving it!! sounds like you are seeing some beautiful scenery out there and knowing you, you are enjoying every minute of it!! keep up the writing and miss you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete